There are many health benefits of coffee kicking around ranging from the prevention of many diseases to increased short term memory. Here are some that we feel take most important premise and have the most research backed studies:
- According to Ori Hofmekler’s extensive research, coffee increases your metabolism by up to 20 percent and aids in the oxidation of fat.
- There are greater health benefits of organic whole-bean black coffee, the darker the roast, the better the antioxidants and nutritional values. Roasted coffees are higher in neuroprotective (brain cells and prevention of brain diseases) agents than green (un-roasted) coffees.
- Has been shown to help athletes perform better during strength training , even when sleep-deprived, if taken one hour before exercise at the rate of 4 mg for every kg of body weight. By Improving neuromuscular coordination this allows your muscles to fire faster and more forcefully, which means you’ll be more efficient, i.e. you can run faster with less effort. Lift more and for longer than normal.
- It increases the “rate of perceived exertion” (RPE) associated with pain and discomfort which in turn is likely to enhance your high-volume training ability.
- And here is a little cheeky one for guys out there… Caffeine gets women in the mood for sex, especially when taken in moderate amounts.
Which coffee to get:
Whole Bean: You’ll want to purchase whole bean coffee that smells and tastes fresh, not stale
Drink it Black: If you’re interested in the health benefits, drink your coffee black, without sugar or cream or flavorings. Add sugar and you’ll certainly ruin any of the benefits discussed above by spiking your insulin levels, which contributes to insulin resistance.
Choose Organic: Coffee beans are one of the most heavily sprayed crops with pesticides. So, you should select only coffee beans that are certified organic. Remember, you will obliterate ANY positive effects if you consume coffee that’s been doused in pesticides or other chemicals
Remember: Coffee is a potent substance and should be used only in moderation and without sugar.